December 20, 2017 – As we start seeing a few predictions of snow in one week, it’s clear… winter is coming. Though it has been unusually warm this winter season, that doesn’t mean it’s not going to start getting chilly SOMETIME soon. It can prove difficult to try and balance a cute outfit with a warm, cozy one in the freezing temperatures. I have come up with a few tips for creating the perfect balance:
- LAYERING IS KEY! This is the most important tip in the winter when dressing. When layering, you have the ability to take articles off and add them. So when you get indoors, you can take off your coat and scarf and still have a cute sweater underneath and, depending on how cold it is, maybe even a turtleneck under that. Your outfit will still prove to be cute even when you shed the layers. Then when you need to head back outside into the frozen winter wonderland, you can utilize your adorable winter coat to stay warm and stylish at the same time.
2. Make use of hats. Hats, while being a major fashion statement can also be an essential to keeping one warm. They create a warm environment for the ears to stay toasty in, which I always find get super cold super fast. Especially since a lot of trendy hats have been circulating in the fashion world lately, there are a lot of styling options that a hat can be implemented into.
3. Keep heavy articles of clothing at the center of your outfit. Always pick up those thick knit sweaters or that heavily lined trouser that you love. Not only are these probably some of your favorite articles in your closet (I LIVE off of chunky sweaters in the winter) but they are going to keep you the warmest. Plus, it’s more than likely that they’re going to lay perfectly on your body too, giving you a flattering shape. I always size my sweaters up to achieve maximum chunkiness and the cutest look, in my opinion.
4. Winter accessories are your best friend! Believe it or not, scarves were originally made to keep the neck warm, not for fashion. Now, it’s obvious that they have transformed into more than just a piece of cloth to keep you warm. They aid an outfit into a stronger fashion statement while still saving you from the cold. Along with that are gloves, ear muffs, and adorable thick socks. The greatest thing about them is they can be so stylish while adding to the level of warmth you experience.
5. Layer with your jeans. An odd tip that not a lot of people seem to think about is putting leggings under jeans. Sometimes in the cold winter weather, jeans can be uncomfortable and can get cold quickly. Throwing on a pair of leggings under a solid pair of jeans (remember to make sure your jeans don’t have rips unless that’s the look you’re going for) can elevate your comfort level to its absolute max!
6. A seemingly not effective tip to staying cozy in the cold is wearing tights. Tights are timeless, classy, and so chic, they will never go out of style. I’ve always noticed that even though tights seem like they don’t do much, the difference between bare legs and tights is immense. And, like all of the other tips, these will upgrade your outfit with the simplest touch.
I hope some of these tips can help keep you cozy in the winter and most importantly STYLISH. Although it may be a challenge, it can be done. Don’t ever let the cold keep you from showing off your style!